Oct 10, 2010

On the Road to Lima

Day 7, Oct, 10, 2010

We both slept well and Michael ate this morning, but then the stomach got upset again. Not so bad.  We rode through the desert all day for 500kms and I was amazed at how little vegetation there was and how much sand and rock we saw. More tomorrow. We arrived in Antofagasta and asked for help to locate a hotel. A nice man showed us to a block with 3 and here we are. The hotel had internet but our computer would not connect so we are at an internet cafe typing to all of you. Bye for now.


Day 6, Oct 9, 2010

We were up bright and early with the fog and mist and wet tents and bike covers and packed up. Michael started getting the trots. Oh Great! We headed for Caldera, a seaside town and found a Hosteria at 1pm and both snuggled in for some shut eye after unpacking our wet stuff. Later I organized our stuff and tended to my sick puppy. Went shopping and got fruit and sandwich makings.

I must say that I was under a lot of stress. I feel way out of my snack bracket with not knowing the language or country. It has been very difficult to communicate when you don´t know the language. Also, I have been trying too hard. In reflection, I just need to take my time and relax.

Day 5, Oct 8, 2010 left Valparaiso

We packed up and said our good-byes to Martina and Enzo. Martina gave me directions and advice where to stay in La Sarena. We got there and found the Hotel, but felt it was too expensive so we drove on expecting to find some town or village with something cheaper. Things didn´t work out and we rode. Finally, after dark, we were hungry and stopped at a local Posada. we thought it was just a resturant, but turns out the dictionary says its a private guesthouse also. We both ate chicken for dinner but Michael had some pasta. Anyway, we decided to find a trail off the road and pitch the tents, and we did. It got cold and foggy, as the Atacama Desert does, and we did not sleep well. Michael says that he felt something crawling under his tent.

1 comment: